Company: CNA Insurance
Posted on: November 20, 2022
You have a clear vision of where your career can go. And we have
the leadership to help you get there. At CNA, we strive to create a
culture in which people know they matter and are part of something
important, ensuring the abilities of all employees are used to
their fullest potential.
CNA seeks to offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package
to our employees that helps them - and their family members -
achieve their physical, financial, emotional and social wellbeing
For a detailed look at CNA's benefits, check out our Candidate's
CNA's Commercial Middle Markets team provides standard lines
commercial property and casualty insurance products such as General
Liability, Property, Inland Marine, Commercial Auto, Workers'
Compensation, and Umbrella to businesses of all sizes. Our Middle
Markets team underwrites a diverse mix of business and industry
classes including Manufacturing, Professional Services, Financial
Institutions, Real-estate, Distributors, Technology, Wholesale, and
Retail. Typical account sizes range from $50,000 up to $1,000,000
and over in premium on a multi-line basis.
JOB DESCRIPTION:Essential Duties & ResponsibilitiesPerforms a
combination of duties in accordance with departmental
- Reviews applications and financial requirements for risks
requiring complex underwriting skills. Determines acceptability of
risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards. Also,
determines the need for additional evidence of insurability and
- Determines appropriate pricing based on financial and
competitive analysis in line with compliance requirements.
- Prepares quotes and answers questions from agencies,
policyholders or other external contacts and escalates issues to
management along with proposed solutions as necessary. Negotiates
with agents to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
- Notifies agencies of adverse underwriting decisions, rate
appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations.
- Analyzes quality, quantity, and profitability of risks
underwritten and prepares reports for management review.
- Markets products and services through agencies or through the
brokerage community and makes field visits. Develops and maintains
agency and/or broker relationships.
- May provide guidance and assistance to other underwriters and
to other functional areas, particularly when related to cross-sell
- Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations,
industry activity and trends and freely shares information with
- Utilizes advanced functionality in relevant CNA systems to
perform day-to-day activities.
- Works with more senior underwriters or management on risks
exceeding authority level or requiring special handling.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of underwriting and insurance industry
theories and practices.
- Demonstrated high level of technical expertise and product
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal
and external business partners.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to make critical
business decisions effectively.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional
- Typically a minimum three to five years underwriting
Keywords: CNA Insurance, Elizabeth , Underwriter (Mid-Market), Other , Warren, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!