Assistant Manager Gate Operations (ELZ)
NJLocalTerminal Operations/EngineeringRef.: AT-260411APM
Terminals operates one of the world's most comprehensive port and
integrated inland service networks. We're uniquely positioned to
help both shipping line and landside customers grow their business
and achieve better supply chain efficiency, flexibility and
We are looking for an Assistant Manager Gate Operations to join
our North America Port Operations team based in Elizabeth, NJ.
We OfferAPM Terminals offers tremendous growth, career and
leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and
dedication to become one of the best. If you see yourself being
part of a team that helps the global economy grow through our
worldwide network of customers and terminals, then we want to hear
Key ResponsibilitiesThe Assistant Manager Gate Operations is to
effectively manage the ILA labor responsible to systematically move
cargo in and out of the terminal as safely and efficiently as
possible. Also, to provide over-the-road drivers with an optimal
end to end terminal experience.
- Responsible for ensuring all daily work assignments are
completed properly and safely by the ILA labor allocated to the
Gate Department this includes the Gate Room, Driver's Assistance,
Heavy Lift and Appointments.
- Responsible for directing ILA labor allocated to the Gate
Department in their daily work assignments to minimize labor cost
and maximize terminal efficiency this includes the Gate Room, Empty
Annex, Driver's Assistance, Heavy Lift and Appointments.
- Responsible for determining and ordering appropriate labor,
including additional labor as you deem necessary and as business
- Responsible for monitoring the arrival times of all labor,
authorizing any necessary overtime, ensuring that labor is properly
identified on all payroll records and ensuring that any and all
appropriate payroll adjustments are made for labor based on their
actual hours of work.
- Expected to use your independent judgment and discretion in
making important operational decisions. Your decisions should be
guided by business needs with the goal of improving overall
terminal operations by maximizing labor efficiency and minimizing
- Responsible for and have the authority and discretion to carry
out discipline of the labor you supervise.
- Required to become familiar with and utilize the applicable
labor agreements and grievance adjustment procedures.
- Pro-actively research trucker detention bills processing those
requiring payment or cancellation based on supportable
documentation (NYCT Tariff) to reach such a position. Seeks out
manager's approval on questionable invoices.
- Provide optimal customer service to all stakeholders.
- Sustain, develop and improve operational processes and TOS
programs to increase terminal efficiency, customer service and
- Analyze and report data trends in an effort to improve terminal
efficiency, reduce costs and provide optimal service levels to
Who we are looking forEducation and Experience:
- High school diploma/GED; College degree preferred
- Basic proficiency with Mobile phones and using Mobile apps
- Must be able and have flexibility to work nights, holidays, and
- At times may be required significantly extended shift hours
based on business need
- Must have current valid driver's license or the ability to
obtain one and ability to obtain insurance via company
- Must be able to obtain a Pier Superintendent's license from the
Waterfront Commission and TWIC card.
- Must be able to stand and site for long periods of time
- Working proficiency in customer service interaction
- Working proficiency to implement and sustain the OS system to
- Team work and decision making:
- Working proficiency easily and effectively works with others to
- Working level of Time-Management, Resource Coordination,
Physical Organization, Goal-Setting, Prioritization Skills
- Working proficiency to make complex, or frequent decisions
- Working proficiency to easily and quickly respond to changing
assignments, work settings and priorities
- Working proficiency to provide detailed follow-through of
policies and plans
- Systems Literacy:
- Extensive proficiency in developing, organizing, maintaining,
tasks and projects using Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio and
- Working proficiency in using Microsoft Outlook, Teams,
- Working proficiency in analytical thinking
- Working proficiency in troubleshooting
- Working proficiency to extract and analyze data sets
- Ability to sustain a process or task
- Working proficiency in stake holder management skills and goal
- Working proficiency to prepare and present an executive
- Strong candidates are a self-starter with strong multi-tasking
and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team player attitude
- Must have the ability to modify important changes rapidly
- Must have the ability to work together across boundaries and
exchange as well as adapt skills
Preferred Qualifications: (Nice to have)
- 2+ years supervisory or management experience
- 2+ years transportation, supply chain, warehouse, stevedoring
experience or equivalent military experience
- Working proficiency in TOS portals and its functions; N4, XPS,
Ocularis CCTV, Smartmap, QMS, TERMPoint
- Experience with continuous improvements projects and/or process
- Terminal or port operations experience
>Last application date: 05 June 2021.
For further information, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.orgIs a career with APM
Terminals right for you? Learn more or watch the APM Terminals
career videos at: www.apmterminals.com/careers
You must be authorized to work for any employer in the US.
Local candidates only; no relocation assistance is provided.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is
regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel and
talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with
hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or
crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, work at a
computer terminal. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up
to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and
occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision
abilities required by this job include close vision, distance
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and
ability to adjust focus.
Work is mostly performed outdoors. While performing the duties
of this job, the employee will have to withstand exposure to
outdoor/adverse working conditions. The employee is regularly
exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently
exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; extreme cold. The employee
is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or
airborne particles; extreme heat and vibration. The noise level in
the work environment is occasionally noisy.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, sexual
orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
APM Terminals is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/V/D).
FMLA Rights: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf
At APM Terminals, we are a team of over 20,000 employees spread
across more than 60 countries united by a passion to provide our
expertise in port operations and container management services. By
providing the expertise and port infrastructure essential to world
trade, we actively support the advancement of the societies around
us, enabling local economies to unlock their potential and build an
even stronger global community. Working with a team of talented
professionals you will get a chance to experience different
cultures and make friends all over the world. You'll find a
culturally diverse, stimulating environment at any of our offices,
terminals or depots. When you join APM Terminals, the world is your
workplace. APM Terminals is an independent business unit within the
Danish Maersk Group - a Global Fortune 500 company with about
89,000 employees and offices in 130 countries with global growth
opportunities in a range of fields from shipping and energy to our
offshore and manufacturing industries - Join us to achieve even
your most ambitious career goals!