Site Name: USA - New Jersey - Warren
Posted Date: Jan 6 2021
Are you a successful Patent Paralegal looking for a challenging
opportunity to join the Legal team of a Global Pharmaceutical
company? If so, this could be the right opportunity for you.
As a Patent Paralegal, you will be responsible for coordinating
a full range of multi-jurisdictional legal advice and services
impacting the operations of GSK's businesses around the globe as
well as the ability to manage and priorities work associated within
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key
activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include
some of the following
- Provide full patent paralegal support to attorneys covering all
aspects of patent preparation and prosecution including, but not
limited to preparing patent specification, figures, sequence
listings, routine drafts of responses to Official communications
and Office actions, and any other activity related to patent
preparation and prosecution.
- Consistently demonstrate GSK expectations and values.
- Assist attorneys with the tasks involved in-license /
out-license of cases and be part of any patent prosecution
- Act independently, anticipating upcoming activities,
determining priorities and during attorney's absence, to delegate
matters to appropriate staff persons.
- Communicate with relevant patent offices and external counsel
- Initiate and compose routine correspondence, ensuring timely
and accurate drafting.
- Manage attorney in trays and maintain electronic files relating
to attorney case dockets, incorporating internal and official
correspondence from patent offices around the world.
- Work with internal docket systems, actively managing attorney
dockets ensuring attorneys have full visibility of future, upcoming
and urgent matters, where appropriate performing cross checks and
closing out office actions.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to
achieve our goals:
- Secondary/High school education or equivalent is required
- Minimum of 3 years' experience working as a patent prosecution
paralegal, legal secretary, patent administrator or comparable
position with experience working in a private practice or in-house
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a
- Excellent IT skills (Windows 10, Excel), and ability to
learn/use patent database management systems. Competent in software
packages that support patent prosecution work.
- formal paralegal training/certificate is preferred
- Must be well-organized and able to handle a heavy workload and
cope with ever increasing changes while maintaining a calm and
- Demonstrated capacity to work and deliver on tight
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong capability for
analysis, judgment and reasoning.
- Strong interpersonal skills and good communication (written and
- The ability to engage and interact effectively with a diverse
team, build strong partnerships and develop relationships that
enable honest and open conversations
- Decisive, performance and customer driven.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do
and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity
along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As
GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of
innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will
demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence
and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming
challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills
and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
- This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does
not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for
a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at
1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere
to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified
applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy,
marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression,
age, disability, genetic information, military service,
covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or
local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or
employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this
site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact
GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department
to obtain prior written authorization before referring any
candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is
a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between
the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such
written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the
employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed
without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall
therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or
any fees arising from any referrals by employment
businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare
Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of
the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and
report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are
afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable
transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all
federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more
information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the